Date of publication: 2017-09-04 10:26
In today’s ultra-competitive admissions process, your personal statement has never been more important. Unlike standardized test scores and GPAs, an admissions essay can truly set your application apart from those submitted by the thousands of applicants you’re competing with. Even near-perfect scores and grades are not enough to earn you admission at the most elite schools and programs today. That’s because the average applicant is significantly more qualified today than he or she was a decade ago. With so many qualified applicants competing for a limited number of spots, admissions committees have turned to other elements of the application to make difficult decisions about who to accept and who to reject.
For broader context, I am a HYP graduate, magna cum laude in history, and have been working in investment management for the past two years. Thank you for your help.
6) 9 years of full-time work experience in Financial Planning & Analysis at MSCI in Mumbai. Jul 8767 68-Jun 8767 69 Intern, Jun 8767 69-Dec 8767 65 Analyst, Jan 8767 66-Present Associate. Took on additional responsibility from Strategy & Corporate Development team in Oct 8767 66 worked out of NYC HQs for three weeks in May 8767 67
• Don’t be phony. Be honest. Admissions faculty can spot a dishonest essay a mile away. It would not be to your advantage to be dishonest as you might get into a university and then find it was not the right place for you.
By Linda Abraham , president and founder of Accepted and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools .
The field of renewable energy has limitless growth potential take, for example President Obama’s plan, outlined last year, to spend $759 billion from the federal budget and economic stimulus funds to promote clean energy. I cannot wait to learn and be challenged daily by the best and brightest from around the world at Columbia, as I prepare, personally and professionally, to jump into this developing world. Berkeley University
• Commitment and Motivation Rather than simply saying ‘I am committed’, find a way of inferring that you are indeed highly committed and motivated to your proposed field of study.
As Chad Losee recently said on his blog 8775 you are much more than your score. 8776 So it is possible for you to get in with the scores, you are reporting, Is it possible they could be a factor in your rejection, also yes.
I wish to say, sincerely, that in my opinion HBS will fulfill my first short-run objective optimally. HBS has the qualities that best fit my expectations, objective, and background. The more I hear and read about HBS the more I feel I belong there it is considered the best school in the world for developing general management skills and acquiring management tools in the marketing and consumption areas. Graduates gain excellent placement services and leading positions. HBS has no competitors in academic level and in world-wide fame (I learned that from talking to people in China, Eastern Europe, and Arab countries).
• Don’t glorify yourself. Don’t say ‘I was the best tennis player in the whole city of Madras’. That is boasting. However being modest and subtle are also not good qualities. There is a medium between being modest and boastful.
GMAT Question Bank
• Do not repeat materials that are already on the application. Don’t say ‘My major is Physics’ because you have already said that somewhere else. Instead say ‘While I majored in Physics I also took ’ or ‘My Physics major enabled me to take special courses in and ’. Do mention your knowledge and experience in the field at the university level. It is usually a poor idea to mention your high school experience unless something exceptional happened at that time that changed your life or affected your career choice. Follow these guidelines and your personal statement for graduate school will stand out among all personal statement submitted.
My discussions with him have brought me to realize that, in order to advance from my current position as Product Manager with business development responsibilities to Business Development Manager, I need to grow in three areas: management theory, hands-on experience, and international perspective and networking. After speaking with additional Stanford GSB alumni and students, I’m convinced that a Stanford GSB MBA is the best way to get all three.
Depending on the Master’s degree or . program being considered, there will be varying levels of competition to grab some of the coveted positions. Since many applicants may have stellar academic records, the admissions committee often uses the candidates’ personal statements as a tie-breaker of sorts to decide which applicants to accept and which applicants to reject. So doing a good job on the personal statement is paramount.
If you would like professional guidance with your Harvard Business School application, check out Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our MBA Application Packages , which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the HBS application.